LESSON # 245 FROM HOLY QUR’AN
Where Should Be Spent
BAQARAH – 2 (The Cow)
Verse –215 of 286, Section – 26 (Part – 2)
They ask thee, (O Muhammad), what they should spend. Say; that which ye spend for good (must go) to parents and near kindred and orphans and the needy and the wayfarer, and whatsoever good ye do, lo! Allah is aware of it.
Yas-‘aluunaka maazaa yunfiquun. Qul maaa ‘anfaq- tum-min khayrin- falil-waali-dayni wal- ‘aqrabiina wal- yataa-maa wal-masaakiini wab-nis-sabiil. Wa maa taf- ‘aluu min khayrin- fa- ‘innallaaha bihii ‘Aliim.
Khayrin – (wealth, goods, property etc.) each type of goodness is included in the word khayrin i.e. bodily or financial, big or small, but it also means good earning and the wealth. And here meaning of Khayrin is the wealth.
In this verse it has been mentioned that the Muslims asked from The Messenger of God Almighty (grace, glory, blessings and peace be upon Him), “what they should spend?” Allah Almighty commanded that they should spend how much they want out of their good earnings and the pure wealth, beside this Allah Almighty told about the people upon whom the wealth should be spent:
- waali-dayni: first right is of our parents out of our wealth. Alas! Now a days the well to do, the married and the well earner youngsters don’t recognize the right of their parents.
- ‘Al- ‘aqrabiina: after the parents comes the right of the near kindred (close relatives). How much great rule Islam has given that the charity and goodness should be started from the nearest relatives and supplied it far away.
- 3. Wal- yataa-maa: You should take care and train them becoming the shadow over their heads, which are deprived of the shadow of their parents. The Messenger of Allah Almighty (grace, glory, blessings and peace be upon Him) has commanded too much rights of the orphans and fixed it a great virtue to serve them.
- 4. Wal-masaakiini: those weak and disabled people who are excused to earn.
- Wab-nis-sabiil: fifth rank is of the needy wayfarers.
Transliteration in Roman Script & English Translation of Holy Qur’an written by Marmaduke Pickthall, Published by Paak Company, 17-Urdu Bazar, Lahore and Paraphrase collected from Dars e Qur’aan published By Idara Islah wa Tableegh, Lahore (translated by Muhammad Sharif)