LESSON # 130 FROM HOLY QUR’AN
BAQARAH – 2 (The Cow)
Prayer For The Muslim Nation (Ummah)
Verse –127 & 128 of 286, Section – 15
127. And when Abraham and Ishmael were raising the foundations of the House, (Abraham and Ishmael prayed): Our Lord! Accept from us (this duty) Lo! Thou, only Thou, art the Hearer, the Knower.
128. Our Lord! And make us submissive unto Thee and of our seed a nation submissive unto Thee, and show us our ways of worship, and relent toward us. Lo! Thou, only Thou, art the Relenting, the Merciful.
127. Wa ‘iz yarfa-‘u ‘Ibraa-hiimul-qawaa-‘ida minal-Bayti wa ‘Ismaa-‘iil. Rabbanaa ta-qabbal minnaa ‘Innaka ‘An-tas-Samii-‘ul-‘Aliim.
128. Rabbanaa waj-‘alnaa Muslimayni laka wa min-zur-riyyatinaaa ‘Ummatam-Mus-limatal-lak; wa ‘arinaa ma-naasikanaa wa tub ‘alaynaa ‘Innaka ‘Antat-Tawwaabur-Rahiim.
Yarfa-‘u – (were raising) foundation of the Building of Ka’-ba had been laid by the Prophet Adam (peace be upon Him) during His era. This building had ended after being infirm. So now it was being raised again from the beginning. The word yarfa-‘u has been derived from the word rafa-’a. It is used in the meanings of to elevate, to raise and lift up etc.
Muslimayni – (Obedients) it aims toward two meanings.
- The Believers of the Oneness of God Almighty.
- Those persons who remain bound in the common instructions and orders of Islam.
The Prophets Abraham and Ishmael (peace be upon Them) were already Muslims also at that time. Aim of this prayer was “increase our obedience and keep us firm”. Its singular is Muslim. Islam is also from its matter. The literal meanings of Muslim are ‘well wisher, security provider, submissive and obedient.
‘Ummatam-Mus-limatan – (Submissive group/class) ‘Ummat means group and class. Mus-limah means submissive, obedient. It may be applied completely and only on the nation of Last Messenger of God Almighty (may glory, grace, blessings and peace be upon Him).
Ma-naasikanaa – (our ways of worship to perform Pilgrimage) it means the religious methods particularly performing Hajj. These are also called the customs of Hajj.
While the Prophets Abraham and Ishmael (peace be upon Them) were raising the foundations of the Ka’-ba, alongside they were praying, “Our Lord! Accept from us (this duty) Lo! Thou, only Thou, art the Hearer, the Knower. Our Lord! And make us submissive unto Thee and of our seed a nation submissive unto Thee, and show us our ways of worship, and relent toward us. Lo! Thou, only Thou, art the Relenting, the Merciful”.
Transliteration in Roman Script & English Translation of Holy Qur’an written by Marmaduke Pickthall, Published by Paak Company, 17-Urdu Bazar, Lahore and Paraphrase collected from Dars e Qur’aan published By Idara Islah wa Tableegh, Lahore (translated by Muhammad Sharif) (http://hltsharif.blogspot.com) (firstname.lastname@example.org)